via Frisco RoughRiders
FRISCO, Texas (May 17, 2017) – Jose Cardona blasted a three-run home run in the bottom of the eighth, sending the Frisco RoughRiders, the Double-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers, to a 7-4 win over the Midland RockHounds Wednesday afternoon at Dr Pepper Ballpark.
- Jose Cardona cranked a three-run home run in the bottom of the eighth, breaking a 4-4 tie to give the Riders a 7-4 lead.
Trailing 2-1 in the bottom of the fourth, Michael De Leon hit a go-ahead two-run triple to give the Riders a 3-2 lead.
- Scott Heineman launched a solo home run to left field in the fifth, making it 4-2.Behind back-to-back home runs from Yairo Munoz and Max Schrock against Riders starterYohander Mendez , the RockHounds tied the game at four in the top of the sixth. Schrock also homered in the fourth, recording his first-career multi-home run game.
- Sam Wolff worked a scoreless eighth inning to pick up his second win and Reed Garrett twirled a scoreless ninth, earning his third save of the season.
KEY RIDERS PERFORMERS
- Jose Cardona: 2-4, home run, three RBIs, run
- Scott Heineman: 3-4, triple, home run, RBI, two runs
- Michael De Leon: 2-4, triple, two RBIs
NEWS AND NOTES
- Jose Cardona’s home run is his second of the season after homering Tuesday night. He becomes the third Riders slugger with homers in consecutive games, joining Juremi Profar(4/8-4/9) and Drew Vettleson (4/18-4/19).
- Scott Heineman was a double shy of the cycle, a feat that has never been accomplished in Riders history.
- Riders starter Yohander Mendez leads the Texas League with 11 home runs allowed after allowing three more long balls Wednesday.
- The Riders’ pitching staff leads the league in home runs allowed, yielding 44 long balls.