UConn Wins NCAA Title

{fshare id=5007}

ARLINGTON, Texas — Senior guard Shabazz Napier and Connecticut’s band of upperclassmen proved that experience still means something in the one-and-done age of college basketball.

The Huskies won the fourth national championship in school history by out-executing freshmen-led Kentucky 60-54 Monday night before title-game record 79,238 fans at AT&T Stadium.

Napier scored a game-high 22 points as he completed to a collegiate career that was bookended by titles. As a freshman, he was part of Connecticut’s 2011 championship squad.

Kevin Ollie won a title in only his second season as coach, guiding the Huskies to a 32-8 record. Ollie did it with a four upperclassmen in the starting lineup.

Kentucky (29-11) rolled out five freshman, including forward Julius Randle, a likely NBA lottery pick. The Wildcats, seeking their ninth national title and second under coach John Calipari, had their 11-game NCAA Tournament winning streak snapped.

Kentucky guard Aaron Harrison opened the second half with a 3-pointer, getting the Wildcats within a point (35-34) for the first time since they were down 7-6. The Huskies momentarily regained control, going up 48-39 on Napier’s baseline jumper.

Wildcats forward James Young sparked a surge by soaring and dunking over

Connecticut backup center Amida Brimah. Young’s three-point play was the first of eight consecutive points for the Wildcats, trailed 48-47 with 8:13 left.

Napier ended the run with a 3-pointer from straight away, and forward Niels Giffey followed with another from almost the same spot on the next possession. Connecticut guard Ryan Boatright extended the lead to 56-50 with a floating jumper with 4:12 to go.

The Wildcats couldn’t get any closer than four points the rest of the way.

Boatright scored 14 points, and Giffey added 10.

Young topped the Wildcats with 20 points, while Randle scored 10.

The game couldn’t have started any better for Connecticut. The Huskies were the early aggressor behind Napier, attacking the basket and shooting early in the shot clock.

Kentucky tried to match that tempo but ended up taking bad shots that fed Connecticut’s break. After Boatright fooled Kentucky defenders on a reverse layup to give the Huskies a 17-8 lead, Calipari called timeout with 13:08 left in the half.

The break in the action didn’t faze Connecticut or inspire the Wildcats. The Huskies soon pushed their advantage into double digits, and they doubled Kentucky at 30-15.

The Wildcats got back in it by dominating the last five minutes of the half. Kentucky’s 16-5 run, fueled by three 3-pointers and stellar defense, cut the Connecticut’s lead to 35-31 at the break.

Napier led all scorers with 15 points at the half on 6-of-11 shooting, including 3-of-7 from 3-point territory. Young knocked down two 3-pointers in Kentucky’s closing spurt and had 10 first-half points.

Share and Enjoy !

0 0 0