UT Arlington Women Lose To ULM

ARLINGTON, Texas – ULM closed the game with 11 consecutive points to end UT Arlington’s three-game home winning streak, defeating the Lady Mavericks 63-51 on Thursday night at College Park Center in Sun Belt Conference play.

The Warhawks (6-6, 1-2 SBC) took control of a one-point game that stood at 52-51 with 2:30 left in the contest. The Lady Mavericks (8-5, 2-2) turned the ball over on three consecutive possessions and ULM capitalized to control the final minutes. The Warhawks out rebounded the Lady Mavs 42-24, the largest deficit UTA has had on the boards this season.

“Monroe just out played us, just hands down wanted to win more than we did and went after us with energy and played with determination,” UT Arlington coach Krista Gerlich said. “I thought it was a lack of mental focus. We are in some kind of funk right now and I have to figure out how to pull them out of it.”

UTA will look to turnaround a two-game losing streak on Saturday when the Lady Mavs welcome Sun Belt Conference preseason favorite Arkansas State at 5 p.m.

Junior LaShanda Green was UTA’s offensive leader, scoring 14 points and reaching double-digit scoring for the second straight game after putting in 19 against Troy on Monday. Artavia Ford became the Lady Mavs’ enforcer inside the paint as the freshman picked up a career-high seven blocks.

The Lady Mavs and Warhawks went back-and-forth with runs in the opening half. With a 15-13 lead, UTA used the 3-pointer to open up an 11-0 run. Green hit the first of her three 3-pointers that she converted in the half. ULM bounced back to bring the game within six points before the Lady Mavs responded again.

UTA went on a 7-2 to lead 30-19 on another Green 3-pointer. However, it was ULM who closed the half strong. The Warhawks brought the Lady Mavs’ double-digit lead to within four points.

“We didn’t end the half well as we had a turnover at the end but in the second half we stretched the lead a tiny bit at one point but didn’t respond,” Gerlich said. “We just didn’t have enough positive stretches to build on.”

Momentum for ULM carried over into the second as the Warhawks shot over 60 percent from the field in the first seven minutes to jump into a one-point advantage.

The teams exchanged the lead with each team matching the other’s field goal before the Warhawks close the game strong in the end.