FC Dallas Tops Colorado

via FC Dallas

FRISCO – FC Dallas advanced to the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Quarterfinals for the second straight season on Tuesday night with a 3-1 win over the Colorado Rapids at Toyota Stadium.


Image 1 of 30

FRISCO, TX - JUNE 27: Colorado Rapids defender Mekeil Williams (5) and FC Dallas forward Cristian Colman (9) battle for control of the ball during the game between FC Dallas and Colorado Rapids on June 27, 2017, at Toyota Stadium in Frisco, TX. (Photo by George Walker/Icon Sportswire)

Colorado came out firing and nearly went ahead in the fifth minute when Bismark Boateng came free at the top of the box and fired a first-touch shot inches over the crossbar.

Dallas answered in the seventh minute when Mauro Diaz put Roland Lamah in on goal. The Belgian found Ryan Hollingshead, who was making an overlapping run from his spot at left back. The defender pulled up near the end line and found Paxton Pomykal open in the middle of the box, but the Lewisville-native could not keep his shot on target.

Six minutes later, Dallas’ left flank produced another opportunity. Lamah freed Hollingshead once again, this time with a nifty back-heel pass. The defender opted to shoot and beat Rapids’ goalkeeper Zac MacMath to the far post, but the attempt smacked off the center of the bar and was ushered away from danger.

Dallas struck the post again in the 31st minute, off a corner that was played short to Diaz. The ball cycled around to Maynor Figueroa on the left side of the area and the defender cracked a shot off the near post and out of play.

Homegrown right back Reggie Cannon got free on the opposite sideline and curled a cross in to Lamah, who was wide open inside at the top of the six-yard box. The winger volleyed a shot on goal but MacMath was in perfect position and made a simple save.

A beautiful combination play off a set piece from the left flank produced an opportunity for Diaz to go to goal himself just before halftime. The play was comprised of seven pinpoint passes between Diaz, Lamah, Pomykal and Hollingshead before the Argentine playmaker was dragged to the turf by Boateng in the area. Referee Robert Sibiga pointed to the spot and Dallas’ No. 10 capitalized on his opportunity to score his first goal since the U.S. Open Cup Final on Sept. 13, 2016. Diaz beat MacMath to his left side to give FCD a 1-0 lead heading into halftime. 

Colorado used its third and final substitution of the game at halftime, bringing on Michael Azira. The Ugandan needed only a few seconds to get off his first shot, catching a piece of Figueroa of its way through to cross up FC Dallas goalkeeper Chris Seitz and tie match, 1-1, in the 46th minute.

FC Dallas responded through Diaz in the 57th minute. The unicorn played a well-weighted through ball to Cannon, who fought his way to the end line before hitting a hard and low cross to the back post. Hollingshead was there to usher the ball in to the back of the net for his first goal since June 2, 2016.

Javier Morales tacked on an insurance goal to make it a 3-1 final via a free kick, earned by Cristian Colmán in the 89th minute. Morales’ free kick skipped under the wall defending the free kick and tucked just inside the far post.

Share and Enjoy !